A year as IT-alian expat in Denmark.

Do you relly think it's a good place?

Today, the 15th of January 2015, it's exactly a year I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, as IT-alian expat. I chose this country and then moved here on the base of a list of macroeconomical, social and geographical factors, and influenced by a sweet memory of a trip I had in 2009 to visit a high-tech firm in Århus too - I'm human :-)
I just got off the plane when I had a coffee with the first two "Danish" people I talked with, Mara and Igor, both Italians living there. They were the first I talked with, but in the tube I've heard my language many times. People looking for a job, people running away from their places, from everywhere, physically and metaphorically: the northern Italy, the southern, from huge and "rich" cities just like from the countryside, people with no educations and guys with a PhD - all empirical demonstrations of how the austerity policies in the Mediterranean country are working fine.
The road so far has been long and hard: I have a low-risk attitude about my life, and I looked for any job to be entitled for the Danish "system" and start from that point. Then, I couldn't use it for a while: a full time contract and too many things to do made me run out of spare time in my too small 24 hours day. I had a job in a Danish firm, a regular contract, I subscribed for an a-kasse with a trade union, everything. After a month and half, I've been fired: looks like fraudulent bosses don't like their employers asking questions about un-paid days of great job with many demonstrated results achieved. So the "You're doing the best job ever" and the "Thank you for your efforts" became a polite "I think we should interrupt our cooperation" by email. No 15 days of notification - as stated in my contract, no precise reasons, just a lack of "good vibe". I called my union, explained everything to their lawyers, brought all the possible document to demonstrate the quality and the feedbacks I had at work. As a result they - one of the most expansive Danish union - had a coffee with my bosses, asked a couple of question to a couple of "trusted" employees (read: pets) and the day after I had my answer: "We can't do anything".
Probably I just dealt with the three worst union's employees ever, probably not. Anyway, I decided to avoid any future contact with these people unsubscribing the union. The day after I found a part time job, to start my own in the meanwhile. Here things go fast. It reminds me Alexis de Tocqueville, when he emphasized the use of his telephone (and the role of the international commerce) to renew his passport and buy some flowers from Holland in a few minutes, just from his studio. Months later, I switched to another part time job. Higher pay, closer to my place. I started a cooperation with a huge Scandinavian company. The first invoice. I left to start my own full time project. Many customers, many projects, and then now.
15 January again. It's a year I'm here. The road so far has been tough. The one to ride yet more. But I like it. Happy birthday to me.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! And good luck now that the shoulders are stronger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours dear Domenico. You've always worked very hard and you deserve the success you're harvesting. Keep it up with the great job ;)

    ReplyDelete